Cruel summer temperatures bring about discomfort and higher costs on energy bills at certain periods of the year. People try different strategies to keep themselves refreshed and healthy to survive the season of hot and humid days. Spending time outdoors with family and friends is cool, but the sweltering heat makes it uncomfortably humid to stay outside. Thus, many people tend to carry out activities indoors instead, in air-conditioned homes or establishments. Air conditioners keep homes cool at room temperature and with extended hours of usage during summer, energy bills tend to rocket.
Extreme temperatures occur most often nowadays with climate change, and these scorching spells have various effects on people’s daily activities and health. To endure and adapt to the weather condition and still enjoy the summer, it is important to consider healthy and helpful advisory.
1. Stay hydrated. Drink water not only to quench your thirst but to keep the body healthy as well. Health professionals usually recommend eight glasses of drinking water a day to prevent dehydration and to facilitate important functions in the body. Try to avoid drinks with high sugar content, caffeine or alcohol.
2. Enjoy homemade iced lollies or a smoothie containing fruits that are in season. These treats are healthier substitutes for artificial juices or fruit drinks. Parents and kids find it a refreshing pastime to make homemade ice cream or fresh fruit drinks during hot sunny days. Eat slices of fruits at snack time as well.
3. Wear cotton or clothes made of breathable fabric. A lot of inexpensive, comfy, and stylish garments are available in the market, but it is more important to consider comfort when choosing clothes for the season. Cotton sheets and nightclothes provide convenience and restful sleep on muggy evenings.
4. Try new recreational spots and fun activities. This can be done in one’s own backyard or by spending time at amusement parks or ice-skating arenas. Explore aquatic centres where the family can enjoy splashing and playing at water playgrounds, slides, and sandpits for kids. Try visiting free splash pads if there is one in nearby community parks too.
5. Take a dip in nearby lakes and rivers. When planning to spend time at the beach or freshwater streams, verify information about the place that family or friends intend to explore. Only choose the spots that authorities have designated or approved safe for recreation. Shady parks in the community also serve as recreational spaces during hot sunny days.
6. Don’t forget to protect your skin from the sun’s UV rays. Apply sunscreens or homemade creams, especially when spending more time outdoors to prevent sun-damaged skin and early aging. Also, wear sombreros, straw hats, and sunshades or use an umbrella to shield the face and upper body from direct exposure to sunlight.
7. Modify fitness activity for your summer workout. As the body expends more energy in warm weather, it tends to get tired more easily. Fitness specialists recommend observing one’s body during a workout and adjusting the intensity to avoid strenuous and unhelpful training.
There are numerous helpful tips on how to endure extreme temperatures. It just takes time and creativity to try out these ideas or create one for you. What matters most is to enjoy the season and to develop strategies on how to beat the heat without the hassle and overspending.